Date: 26th October 2012 at 12:05am
Written by:
United's young keeper continues to shine at Hull City

United's young keeper continues to shine at Hull City

Ben Amos’ Hull needed an injury time winner to defeat Ipswich. The goalkeeper performed well and instructed his back-four confidently as The Tigers pounced on the uncertainty surrounding the managerial situation at Portman Road.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas scored against the run of play to give the visitors a first-half lead with a shot into the bottom corner.

However, Hull continued to create chances and drew level midway through the second half when Proschwitz converted Ahmed Elmohamady’s cross. It was Proschwitz who bagged the winner in the dying seconds which prompted a jubilant celebration from Amos. He wasn’t celebrating on Tuesday night, though, as his side failed to build on the win by losing 2-0 at Middlesbrough.

Amos made an early save from teenage winger Adam Reach, but then got into trouble at a couple of corners and had to recover quickly to deny George Friend and Marvin Emnes. Amos, who looked nervous in goal, was left standing five minutes after the restart as George Friend crashed a header on to the crossbar before Miller nodded the rebound into the crowd. Faris Haroun gave the home side the lead in the 59th minute, finishing a swift counter-attack by converting Friend’s perfectly-judged pass.
Seven minutes later, Friend burst into the box and when Amos failed to hold his shot, substitute Scott McDonald’s snapshot bounced free before Miller steered the ball into the net. Hull manager, Steve Bruce, claimed it was “the worst we’ve played since I came to the club.”

John Cofie came on for the last half an hour of Sheffield United’s 1-0 win against Walsall on Saturday. The 19-year-old was largely uninvolved in the action as the visitors pressed for an equaliser. Cofie tried to stretch the Walsall defence but in doing so, hardly got a kick. Cofie was an unused substitute as The Blades jumped to third in League One with another 1-0 win over Preston.

In the Belgian second division, Luke Giverin played the full 90 minutes and Gyliano van Velzen was replaced with five minutes remaining for Royal Antwerp in an entertaining 2-2 draw between Antwerp and Vise. Antwerp went behind to Emmanuel Francoise’s well-hit after 35 minutes. It took until the 71st minute for Antwerp to respond through Omar Bennassar and the Belgian struck a minute later to put the visitors in the lead after some good link-up play with van Velzen. However, their celebrations were cut short as Vise equalised on 79 minutes through Chris Makiese. Both sides took their turns to attack but both defences stood firm to ensure the spoils were shared. Both loanees were comfortable in possession and Antwerp often looked to van Valzen to provide a bit of attacking brilliance which he did for his side’s second goal.

Meanwhile, Fabio is still sidelined at QPR with a hamstring problem. During his absence he has been back up to Manchester to visit twin Rafael who has played every game for United this term. Fabio will be hoping to follow in his brother’s footsteps by first regaining his QPR starting berth and show his maturity and the defensive capabilities that earned him a Champions League final starting position a couple of years ago.

Follow me on twitter for more football obsessed views @saadnoor


Comments are closed.