It’s the final game of the season. It’s down to the wire, and it’s a cauldron of pressure as United loo for 3 points at Sunderland, and pray that QPR nick something from City to hand us that 20th title we crave.
It’s a funny day. A flat feeling, but one filled with belief. QPR have something to play for, and lets hope that they cause an upset today.
Former hero Wes Brown has returned to training following his long-term knee injury, but this game might be a bit too soon for him.
Kieran Richardson and Sebastian Larsson are out.
It’s not to be assumed we’ll stroll to three points today. This is a rejuvenated Sunderland side who, under Martin O’Neill will want to finish the season pleasing their supporters with a good performance.
We’ve got to show a certain mentality that shows we’re here for business…perhaps we wont have the entertainment that we’re hoping for, but today it’s all about the results.
- Sunderland have only won one of 21 Premier League matches between the clubs – 2-1 at home in 1997.
- Three of the last five goals Manchester United have scored against Sunderland have been own goals, two by Anton Ferdinand and one by Wes Brown.
- Only four goals have been scored in the last four meetings between the sides.
- The Black Cats have failed to score in eight of their last 10 league games against the Red Devils, including the last four in a row.
- Sunderland have conceded the highest proportion of headed goals in the top flight this season (27 per cent). Manchester United have scored the joint-most headers in the Premier League (15) this season.
It’s a short and sweet preview this week. There’s no analysis needed for this one, if you’re a red you know the score today. You know what needs to happen.
Let’s hope that, come 4pm United have somehow become the Champions of England again. But if not, don’t beat yourselves up.
We can’t win this league every year – it’s tough, and no-one has a divine right to be able to build a successful team season upon season.
Through thick and thin, love your team. Wherever you’re watching it – enjoy the game.