Former South Korea captain and all round work horse Ji Sung Park today signed for Queen’s Park Rangers ending his seven year trophy laden spell at United.
Although even the biggest Park fan would be hard pressed to make the claim the midfielder was the most skilful of players there’s simply no denying that for sheer work rate, big game temperament and unwavering loyalty to the Red cause, he’s been vital to our recent successes.
Last season was arguably one too far for the energetic little Park who featured in far more defeats than he did victories- mainly due to being ‘thrown in at the deep-end’ as he often was in his Old Trafford career regardless of how little he’d played recently.
Let’s not be negative though, with a medal haul most players can only dream of, a host of important goals, big game performances and THAT chant, Park’s legendary status is assured.
Here’s my own personal top five Ji Sung Park moments in a Red shirt.
5. Sterling performance in the 1-0 win over Barcelona – after a brilliant one in the first leg at the Nou Camp- Champions League semi final second leg 2008.
4. Another amazing display in the Champions League semi final second leg, this time against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2009.
3. The winner against Liverpool in 2010 at Old Trafford.
2. Another Champions League stunning performance, is capped with a goal, this time against Chelsea in the 2011 quarter final second leg.
1. THAT chant. It may seem strange putting a chant ahead of so many great performances, and it’s hardly a ‘moment’ but if Park wasn’t so awesome, we’d never have signed him and kept him for so long, allowing us to sing one of the best player chants I’ve ever heard. Altogether now.. “Park, Park, wherever you may be…”
Have I missed any? Answers on a brick through the usual window please..or you can comment below:
Follow me on twitter @RFFH